Patron Saint

Clergy

Parish History

Parish Information

Mass Schedule

English - Speaking Pastoral Committee

Parish Groups

Annual Report









Rosary Church

Address: 125 Chatham Road South, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon.

Phone:2368 0980
ROSARY CHURCH, 100 YEARS OF HISTORY
Rosary Church, Chatham Road, the oldest Catholic Church on the Kowloon Peninsula, was founded a century ago. Fr. Giovanni M. Spada (1867 -1950), recorded that at the time of the Boxer Uprising in 1900, Great Britain had mobilized several regiments to Hong Kong to be stationed in Kowloon.

Fr. Spada secured the loan of the Canossian missionary premises and offered mass at 8a.m. on Sundays to serve the needs of the Catholic military and lay people. As Tsim Sha Tsui district expanded and the population increased, a small Church – accommodating 800 people - was built in 1901.
按圖放大
Parish Office Building
Despite the return of the regiments to India in 1902 it soon became obvious that the small Church could not meet the local needs as the expatriates – especially the Portuguese community - living in Tsim Sha Tsui had greatly increased.

In October 1903, a Portuguese Catholic, Dr. Anthony Gomes, made a generous donation to build a new Catholic Church on land released by the Canossian Convent. At the foundation laying ceremony of the new Church, the then Hong Kong Auxiliary Bishop Fr. De Maria blessed the foundation stone on 10th December 1904. Rosary Church was eventually completed on 8th May 1905, and Fr. De Maria presided at the opening ceremony and consecration.
按圖放大
Church Foundation Stone
Since its completion in 1905, many improvements have been made. A marble altar has replaced the original wooden altar. In 1913, the aisle passageways on both sides of the Church and the sacristy were added. During the Japanese occupation, the big bell of Rosary Church was sold, and was not replaced until 1948 with a generous donation from an Italian artist.

The Shrine of our Lady of Lourdes was also built. The Church Parish Hall was opened in June 1947, and in 1949, Rosary Church was upgraded to a Parish. Refugees pouring in after the war increased the number of Catholics, so further extension work of the Church was undertaken, and completed by Christmas 1950.
按圖放大
The Present Altar
The present outlook of the Church dates back to 1990 when the Church underwent extensive renovation. The renovated building provides a comfortable liturgical gathering place for Catholics. The baptismal font and the interior decorations all reflect the spirit of liturgical reforms of the Vatican II Council. 按圖放大
Interior of the present church
In preparation for the centenary celebration, large-scale renovation and improvement works, as well as refurbishment of the Parish hall, were undertaken and completed in 2003. The design of Rosary Church is classic Gothic style architecture with the original floor plan based on a Roman Basilica model.

In 1950 with the addition of the nave, the floor plan appeared as a Latin crucifix, a long nave passing through the baptismal font leading to the semi-circle sanctuary. Rosary Church has been designated by the Monuments and Antiquities Board as a Class A heritage building which reflects its architectural uniqueness.
按圖放大
Interior of the church prior to the reconfiguration